I did my graduation in Delhi and I was lucky enough to experience all the four seasons. The transition from summers to winters demanded transition in our wardrobe too ofcourse. But being in college, I was generally seen wearing sweatshirts and light sweaters in winters and tank tees with denims and flip-flops in summers. I had a very basic style and I feel bad for not experimenting more with my wardrobe. College is a creative space and you can try looking stylish and trendy without being OTT.
Hence I am sharing a few tips and ideas to dress trendily to school and college.
- Stick to light weight fabrics. Avoid anything that sticks to your skin. Cotton is the best fabric for summers.
- Avoid dark colours, especially black as it is a conductor of heat. Wear bright colours and pastels. As you are all college goers , wearing bright colours adds the fun element in your outfit. Just avoid extremely neon’y shades.
- If your college isn’t very strict about the dress code, then wear colorful shorts with tank tees and flip-flops. It gives a young and sexy vibe. And for those who cannot wear shorts, you can experiment with palazzos, cropped pants, khakis (very trendy this season) , and the never disappointing denims.
- Denim overalls are back! And college is the best place to wear them. You can pair them with nothing but a basic white tee. Add a hat and converse shoes and voila you would easily be the most stylish girl in your college.
- Wearing shirts with denims gives a good semi-formal look. To make the look more stylish, wear colourful plaid shirts with acid wash jeans.
- If you are like me and feel the most comfortable in kurtis during summers, then take some inspiration from celebs like Anushka Sharma in band baaja baraat . I loved her college style. She wore colourful short kurtis with cropped denims and jootis and kolahpuris. You can also wear chikankari kurtis with salwars.
- Accessories are an essential part of the outfit as they complete a look. As you are college students, sticking to understated basic accessories is the safest thing.
- The most important summer accessory is the SCARF. It goes with almost everything and is a necessity during summers. It gives protection from sun-tan and adds a stylish vibe to the outfit. Wear a colourful or quirky scarf to improvise your outfit.
- BACKPACKS have become a rage. And college students can ditch their oversized totes with chic backpacks. Big designer brands like CHANEL made backpacks look so cool. You don’t have to go to Chanel, lot of smaller brands have cute and quirky backpacks now.
- HATS have become a rage too. They look so dope (I cant’t believe i’m saying dope!) . Wear hats with denims . Please avoid anything offensive written on the hat though! (e.g sexy,f*ck. Ya we know you’re cool like that!)
- There are lot of cute and quirky hair clips available in many colours. Accessorise your hair with these cute things.
- SUNGLASSES is a staple and buy them in all shapes and sizes. Period.
- Flip-flops are your best friends. They are very comfortable and are very casual too.
- Dear girls please don’t wear those flotters. Leave it for the boys. And please don’t wear crocs too. Also avoid anything leather or rexin as they will make your feet smelly and sweaty.
- Thong sandals of all kinds is my absolute favourite.
- You can also experiment with moccasins , loafers and slip-ons which are not very heavy and made of light fabrics.
4. MAKE-UP & SKINCARE:
- Do not leave home or any place without SUNSCREEN. I have always avoided sunscreen saying it greases my skin. Buy a matte base or gel sun protection and apply it before ten minutes you leave your home.
- To give a more put together look, use BB creams. They moisturise the skin and in addition to that some of them have good SPF.
- Avoid a dark or a very bright lip colour in college. Wear nudes and light pink shades on your lips and tinted lip balms are the best.
- As you might be sweating a lot, buy waterproof make-up.
- Experiment with bright colours on your nails.
- Always keep tissues with yourself to wipe off sweat and there are brands which sell rose water in spray bottles which are handy and help keep your skin fresh and hydrated.
Till the next time,